---
Sept. 13, 2011 [Date of the week it's supposed to be about]
Today, Berna talked about self-awareness and the helping relationship. I didn’t know this course was going to be about how to do therapy, but I guess because of it, I want to be a therapist (kind of). What I learned was that we have to be aware of other people’s differences such as religion, family, cultural background, education level, and personality. I can’t help but relate this to where I am right now. This problem has been with me for around a year now. For cultural background, Mike’s mom and I have different ones. She’s from China and I’m from HK. HK people don’t like China people and… I have to agree with that. For religious beliefs, the most offensive thing she said about my religion was that it was boring and we spend all our time praying. I know she doesn’t understand that but I just hoped she would have some sensitivity about that. For family beliefs, that’s where most of the problems are. She controls the family (contrary to how the father controls the family mostly). She yells constantly at Mike and David even though they did nothing wrong. In fact, from what I see, their personalities are completely opposite from hers. She yells at the littlest things and I think she has major OCD problems (not to be mean). She complains about my hair and other things. I don’t know why. I know everyone’s different but I can’t help but have a little distain for her. Just the thought of her being my future mother in law (if it ever goes that far) makes me very very uncomfortable. But as a Family Ecology major, I have to learn to deal with these things…




0 comments:
Post a Comment